Health & Insurance


You can find a good quality medicine infrastructure in the big cities and even hospitals with foreign doctors (e.g. the “French Hospital” or “International SOS hospital”) in Hanoi.

These private hospitals are extremely expensive so you absolutely need to have a good travel insurance before starting your trip! We advise you to visit a physician and your dentist before travelling and also to check your vaccination status on time.

  • Malaria in Hanoi: you don’t need to take malaria pills; there is NO MALARIA IN THE BIG CITIES OF VIETNAM!
  • Check if your TETANUS, DIPHTHERIA, POLIO and HEPATITIS A+B vaccination are up- dated. Some doctors here advise to do a preventive vaccine against fuzz (bird-flu).
  • DIARRHEA is a frequent travel problem. Even when traveling in good conditions it is not always possible to avoid it. Ask advice about the correct medication to take from your pharmacy.


Yellow fever: Not compulsory if arriving from Europe, North America, Oceania and AsiaCompulsory only if arriving or transiting from infected areas

Japanese encephalitis: vaccination can be justified in case of long-lasting stays in rural areas

Hepatitis A: vaccination justified

Hepatitis B: vaccination justified

Rabies: vaccination can be justified for long-lasting stays or risky trips

Tetanus-poliomyelitis: vaccination justified

Typhoid: vaccination justified

We also suggest you bring a simple medical kit. Your doctor should advise you what to include AND HOW TO USE IT; however as a minimum we suggest you bring:

* Aspirin (for pain or fever)
* Cold and flu tablets
* Anti diarrhea medication
* something appropriate for nausea and vomiting
* Insect repellent
* Antiseptic and bandages
* Sunscreen and lip balm

SJ Vietnam will provide you fresh water in bottles; you don’t need mobile water filters or chloral pills.


Please, don’t travel without insurance: an emergency abroad can be extremely expensive! The volunteers need to have their own travel and medical insurance. Before you go, you need to make sure you have adequate insurance cover.

What is the minimum insurance policy coverage when volunteering ?

  • Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad
  • 24 hour emergency service and assistance
  • Personal liability covers in case you’re sued for causing injury or for damaging property
  • Lost and stolen possessions cover
  • Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip) cover
PHP Code Snippets Powered By :